Thursday, June 22, 2006

Bacchus Hates Me


Okay, that's it, I've had it. I don't know what I did, but I seemed to have upset Bacchus (Dionysus, to all you Romans out there) for he is constantly sending out his minions to attack me. Bacchus is the Greek God of Wine, Parties and Orgies for those of you who do not know. But, before I tell you this story, please keep in mind that all the people involved are fine.

I was at work and because I had to go to the jail later and I was unable to find a parking spot, I parked in the two-hour parking. My trip to the jail was cancelled so I went to move my car to the long-term parking. As I drove down the street to turn around. I get hit my another car. Which pushes me off of the street over a curb and into a pole. Now I'm not going all that fast so my air bags don't go off or anything, but I do have some front-end damage (really on the driver's side front, where she hit me) and on the passenger side front where she knocked me into the pole).

So I get out of my car and as soon as I get out, my airbags go off (the technicians at the Toyota dealership think there was a problem with the sensors). Anyway, I get out and check on this woman, and she's fine as well. I call the cops, she freaks out, because despite the fact that it's only 9:32 am she's already been drinking. Not enough to be impaired, but still, it's kind of reminiscent of my prior drunk-driving accident that almost killed me.

Anyway, the police show up. Take the report, a copy of which I received today, which mentions that she is at fault, the fact that she admitted drinking earlier, and the fact that she didn't have her license (it was suspended) and that she had let her insurance "lapse." In fact, she hadn't had insurance for three years.

I have my car towed to the nearest Toyota dealership with a collision center (in Elk Grove), the technicians at which say that due to the way she hit me the frame is bent (pretty badly), which in combination with the high price of replacement airbags, makes my car a total loss. My insurance company concurs. My insurance company, however, is "looking into" whether they have to pay my claim given the fact that my parent's recently changed insurance companies at the insistence of our insurance broker, but the broker may have neglected to forward the payment on time. In which case the broker would pay.

Our broker, by the way, is my aunt (on my father's side).

So, to recap, I'm fine. She's fine. There's a pole in Woodland, CA that could be better. And my car is toast.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I'll buy you another replacement, if you want.

Though maybe I shouldn't since the last time I gave you a car as a gift, you managed to wreck it in less than 13 months.

That said, just say the word, and another car will be forthcoming.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Thanks Joe, but I've got things under control. Where are you right now? My emails to you are being sent back.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Levi's Fan said...

Stephanie says we shouldn't feel sorry for you because you have a full ride with rent and books paid, plus a stipend, AND the car was free. But I am glad the lady didn't injure you or anything.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Lilly K. said...

now now - i merely said i don't feel as bad because the car was free and you don't have a full right...mira is making me look bad here...but i still feel for you and will gladly drive you to chipotle's once a month when i do my monthly errands...

3:42 PM  
Blogger Levi's Fan said...

I was paraphrasing.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Chipotle's sounds good, but it seems I am getting another car for free, so perhaps you want to rescind your deal.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!. Alone on Valentine's Day? Adult live chat & Movie Pages Try to find partner in your area!
for fun

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home